Artist Statement

A message from The PussyCat: 

My work is semi-autobiographical, a secret garden existing in my own imagination that holds rosy memories of my childhood, of sticky fingers and dirty feet. Now as I toe the line of adulthood, I reflect on my relationships with the world around me and the body that I inhabit. Grasping for an understanding of my own self as I scream into the void that is my early 20s. Promises made to my younger self now due. 

The contrast between the footage taken throughout my life shows the growing pains of being a queer latina woman and figuring out my place in the world. Showing me throughout childhood, awkward adolescence, and now as an adult, I feel the weight of my identity and feel loss for the memories now growing duller. 

Seen in the free-form approach of the video, the layering of footage shows the influence of past events on my present identity. These layers can be seen not only in the video but in the installation as a whole. The draped fabric which the video is projected on creates an intimate setting that matches the intimacy of the content of the video. Hung and draped with a sense of spontaneity, it brings the nostalgia of a childhood blanket fort and laundry hung out to dry on a warm day. 

The main auditory element to the installation consists of three poems, along with sounds from the various clips such as the crackle of a frying egg and the squish of a pomegranate. The poetry and sounds further express my emotions demonstrated in the visual part of the video. The dialogue in the clips also introduces in many instances throughout the video what is to follow. The clip of my parents scrabbling after myself as a toddler, camera going shaky, precedes a poem that discusses addiction and being young and a rush to grow up and find indepence. The contrasting of the new to old footage pokes fun at how little has changed, a love letter to my past self, Chicago and the people who shaped me: demonstrating the beauty and the pain that comes with growing up.