Home | Resume | Philosophy of Education | Sample Lesson Plans | Professional Development Plan
Qualitative Research | Speech Samples | Education Links | Photos

Philosophy of Education

Formal education is an incredibly important aspect of every student’s life. However, as Oscar Wilde once said, “it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.” I take a great deal of my philosophy of teaching from the idea that, while classroom learning is necessary and important, a significant amount of worthwhile knowledge cannot be explicitly taught in the classroom. I believe that one of the main goals teachers should strive to achieve is to help their students think for themselves and bring out their natural curiosity and desire to learn.

A large part of helping students think for themselves is letting them play a role in deciding what and how they learn. Students should be able to make some decisions regarding the curriculum, even if these decisions are minor. Students should also be able to make decisions regarding classroom management; class rules should be made by both teachers and students, and student thoughts and ideas should be taken into consideration when consequences for misbehavior are necessary.

To view my General Teaching Philosophy click here.

To view my General Teaching Philosophy as a PDF file click here.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the specific area of German language learning, I believe that students should be taught using a combination of both the Grammar-Translation and Direct Approaches. I think that it is necessary for all students learning German to explicitly learn certain grammar concepts, but I also believe that students should be encouraged to converse in German and to make mistakes, as mistakes are one of the most important and useful tools in language learning.

To view my Content Area Philosophy click here.

To view my Content Area Philosophy as a PDF file click here.

For questions or comments, please contact Erin Masimore