Sample Lesson Plan

Title: Plant Pollination in Action

Date: Monday, October 22

Suggested Time: 40 minutes

Objectives:
Students will be able to:
- identify the following parts of flowers: sepals, pistil, stamen, and ovary
- describe the process of fertilization in words and/or pictures
- explain why animals play an important role in plant reproduction
- define "fruit" from a scientific perspective

Standards:
NSCS: C
Illinois : 12.A.2a, 12.B.2b
WIDA: Speaking: L3, L5; Reading: L5; Writing: L4

Materials:
Parts of a plant document
Projector
Science textbooks
Science notebooks
Sticky notes

Procedure:
Parts of a flower document
-- Review parts of a flower in figure 1: pistil, stamen, ovary, petals. Point out that there isn't a clear picture of the sepals. Have students model sepals with their own hands.
-- Review purpose/function of each part
-- Demonstration of pollination -- PAY ATTENTION because you will make a diagram about pollination when we're done! Think about the steps of pollination that you see.
* Act out the process of pollination: 6 short boys, 2 tall girls. Have them stand in a circle, tall girl in the middle. -- What do you think these students represent? What are the functions the parts they represent?
* Give 3 boys a sticky note, tell them to stick it on me when I come to their "flower." -- What do you think the sticky note represents? What is its function?
*Tell tall girl of flower 2 to take the sticky notes off of me and put them on herself when I come to her "flower."
* Adopt the character of a bee. Talk about how I'm hungry, how flower 1 looks really pretty and how it smells really tasty. Budge in between students to look for nectar on floor. Boys stick stickies on me.
* Be sad that I ate all of the nectar, but I'm still hungry. Fly to flower 2. Budge in between students to look for nectar. Girl takes stickies off of me and puts them on herself.
-- CHECKPOINT - What just happened?
* Everyone but the stamen steps aside. Demonstrate how pollen (sperm) goes through tunnel to ovary, joins with egg.
* The end - have flowers take a bow.
-- Why do animals and insects play an important role in plant reproduction? - answer in output column of science notebooks.

Draw a diagram of pollination/write the steps of pollination.

Gearing Up:
- Make a diagram of pollination independently using all vocabulary words
- Make a diagram of pollination using conversational words

Gearing Down:
- Make a diagram of pollination as a class using vocabulary words
- Make a diagram of pollination as a class using conversational words

Assignments:
Either:
Finish your diagram/steps of pollination

Or:
Read p. 58-59
Do checkpoint #1

Notes:

Assessment:
Collect pollination diagrams/steps. Did students draw/describe the following: Looks of petals, attractiveness of nectar, pollen rubbing off on insect/animal, pollen rubbing off on pistil of other flower, sperm goes down tube to ovary?

Rationale:
The focus of this lesson is on modeling the process of pollination with living models in order to make it easier for students to remember and relate to the process. If students are involved in the acting out or viewing of a performance of pollination, they will remember the process better; the sillier it is, the more it will stick in their memories. Then they will summarize and connect the dramatic representation with the actual process in their writing.

To download a copy of this lesson, click on the file type below:
Rich Text Format
PDF

For questions or comments, please contact Rachel Leach