Money, money, money – 10/18/07

Expected Time: 45 minutes

Objectives:

• Students will be able to work in groups of two or three to practice setting 3-digit addition problems out vertically and then solving them, by moving around the room and changing provided horizontal equations using movable numbers.
  • Students will be able to demonstrate listening comprehension skills through a teacher read aloud in which students help to keep a running total of money, using verbal and movement cues when the word “yen” is spoken.
  • Students will be able to participate in both whole class and small group math games in order to practice basic addition skills and creating and solving 3-digit addition problems.

Materials:

• Pencil case/Orange file
  • Homework for tomorrow (x52)
  • Calculation test (x52)
  • Teacher-created food cards
  • Line ‘em up: 8 small white boards, individual number equations, markers
  • Addition flashcards, math game materials

Gearing Up or Down:

*For students who are struggling with setting problems out vertically, model a problem with them emphasizing the ones, tens and hundreds places.

*If students are keen on taking the story further, students may wish to create their own food and money sentences (i.e. I went to the store and I bought...for...yen.).

Opening Activities (10-12 minutes):

*Calculation test: (2-3 minutes): As students enter the class, instruct them to put up their orange files and get out a pencil and eraser only for a quick calculation test. Students have two minutes to do as many problems as possible, and when the time is up, everyone needs to stop writing and put their tests in the air. Remind students of the time left during the test.

*Homework Check (5-8 minutes): Hand back the students’ homework, making sure to initial the page and check it off on the clipboard – have the superstar help with this. Once students have their homework and each student has a red pencil out for correcting, begin the homework check (oral answers, volunteers to write on the board, whole class response, etc.)

*When homework check is finished, every other day hand out a new page to students – make sure the superstar tells students which side they are to complete.

*Line ‘em up (7-8 minutes):

Before or during the beginning of class, set up 8 whiteboards around the room, each with different addition equations on them (the individual number cards have tape on the back so they can be moved on the board).

* For the next activity, students will be circulating through the room, practicing setting problems out vertically. Tell students that there are 8 different equations in the room, and it will be their job to, with a partner from their table, move around to each board and do two things: First, you need to set the equation out vertically. Next, you need to solve the equation – there will be one marker at each board so that you may write your answer down. After you have solved the problem, put the numbers back into a horizontal line and then erase your work and answer before moving to the next board. Allow students time to work through the problems, checking both for participation and accuracy of setting the problems out.

*Introduce money problems (10-12 minutes):

*Bring students to the carpet after the last activity, and tell them that you have a story to share with them. Keep the food cards turned away from the students so that they cannot see them. Tell students that your story is about a day that you went shopping, and you need their help while you tell it. In the story, you may hear me mention different amounts of yen – each time you hear me say a price, I need you to put your hand up in the air and say “Ka-ching!” Then, we will be able to stop and keep a total of how much money I spent on my shopping trip.

*Continue with the story (basic outline: There was no food in my house, so I was starving! I decided to go to the store. While I was there, I picked up a lot of different things – detail your stopping in each section and what you bought, how much it cost). At the end of the story, be sure to ask the students how much money you have spent before you move on to going to the cashier and checking out.

*Ask students: Why do you think I would tell you a story about money? How do you think it relates to our unit? (Adding money is just like 3-digit addition). Tell students that we will be working more with money during Monday’s class.

Conclusion:

*If there is time remaining, play a round or two of Around the World with the students – quickly make a circle and if necessary, review the rules with the students. 2 minute warning to begin packing up their things, and then finally with 1 minute officially end the class.

Assessment:

• Observe the students during the group activities – students should be actively volunteering answers for homework check and correcting their sheets, as well as showing attentiveness and cooperation during the partner activity. Students should be able to repeat instruction in their own words.
  • Students should be able to correctly identify the word “yen” by raising their hands and saying “Ka-ching!” and participate in adding the numbers to keep a running total throughout the story.
  • Collect calculation tests and correct – students should be able to score at least 80% on all answers attempted.

Lesson Success

_______Excellent _________Good _______Fair ______Flop